By Trina Otero
Well, this is too cool! My friend and soul sis Pree listed me as her #1 nomination — thank you sis! I am very flattered! Pree is the wonderful writer at Live, Love, Laugh, Learn. Thank you again sister, Namaste. I love you. 🙂
With many thanks to Pree and Lorraine Marie Reguly I have learned the following information about the Liebster Award:
- This award exists only on the Internet, and is given to bloggers by other bloggers.
- It has German origins – the word “liebster” has several definitions: dearest, sweetest, kindest, nicest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, welcome, sweetheart and even boyfriend.
- It is awarded to bloggers with 1,000 followers or less [although I am seeing variations of this rule].
- It follows similar principles as a chain letter, in the sense that it should be passed forward to a certain number of people [usually 11 other bloggers].
- It can be misconstrued, depending upon your personal views, as either something wonderful (who doesn’t like awards?) or as an annoyance (a chain letter that involves work).
- The choice lies within each of us to ACCEPT it, and continue PAYING IT FORWARD or to refuse to accept it, thereby stopping or interrupting the chain. However, if you stop the chain you are only hurting yourself (keep reading for benefits you will have)!
- Marketing plays a role in accepting this award, as other bloggers are promoted. (This is not a bad thing since people should help others!)
- Other awards are a part of the whole “meme.” These include “One Lovely Blog Award”, the “Sunshine Blog Award” and the “Versatile Writer Award.”
- It is said that the Liebster award was created to recognize and/or discover new bloggers and welcome them to the blogosphere.
- Variations have been made over time to the “rules.”
The Rules of the Liebster Award
- You have to thank the blogger who nominated you and provide a link to his/her blog.
- Answer the 11 questions set by the person who nominated you.
- List 11 random facts about yourself.
- Nominate 5-11 bloggers with 1,000 followers or less who you think deserve the award [I honestly found different variations of this rule, and I honestly wanted to nominate bloggers regardless of followership. I nominated based on quality/resonance].
- Ask 11 questions for the people you nominate.
- Notify the bloggers you have nominated, and provide them with a link to your post in case they have never heard of the award!
- List the Liebster Award rules in your post [copy and pasting is perfectly fine].
Although this is much like a “chain letter” I think this is a WONDERFUL [and free] way to promote other writers and their work across the blogosphere and beyond! The award has a communitarian and inspiring feel to it, and I love it. I accept this nomination! 🙂 So here goes..
My Answers to Pree’s 11 Questions:
- Why do you blog? I blog because I love to write! It really is that simple…and as time passed I learned that I can help others through my writing, so that has been a strong driving force! Helping others is one of my passions [and purposes]. It is also a form of expression — I have been expressing through writing since I was seven or eight years old. 🙂
- If you could reincarnate as anyone in the history of this world including present times, who would it be and why? Wow, honestly this is a hard question…I don’t envy anyone’s life although I do admire the lives of some. This may sound boring but I don’t have anyone in mind BUT I would want to reincarnate as someone with a much simpler life who lives around nature and within a strong, sustainable, utopian community. Or I would love to come back as this beautiful, goddess-like woman 🙂 She reminds me of the Hindu goddess Saraswati.
- What is one vegetarian dish you like and please share the recipe? This recipe is simple but so yummy to me! It’s a vegetarian frittata recipe by Mind Over Munch!
- 10 oz broccoli florets (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 4 egg whites (if using a carton it’s 3/4 cups)
- 2 whole eggs (I personally just use more egg whites)
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons of shredded low fat cheddar cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit
- Lightly oil saucepan & over medium heat cook onions, mushrooms, garlic, & spinach for a few minutes until spinach wilts
- Whisk together the eggs, egg whites, Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup shredded cheese, salt & pepper
- Stir cooked vegetables & broccoli into the egg mixture
- Pour mixture into 9 inch pie pan (I like to use a large iron skillet), spray with cooking spray, and top with 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese
- Cook for 30-35 minutes until lightly browned
- What are your thoughts on non-violence, impermanence, health and love?
- I truly believe non-violence is essential for humankind – any and all differences can be solved with peace and that is what our world desperately needs.
- I believe that life is eternal, but it is ever-changing. Therefore, nothing, especially materials, are permanent. There is an ebb & flow to life. I believe we go through phases aka life lessons – circumstances and states of being are constantly changing. That’s why it is so important to not have attachments to things and people. There’s a way to enjoy, experience and even love without attachment.
- Health is muy importante! Health should be viewed as a whole – think of a pizza pie that has 4 slices. Health (in my mind) is comprised of physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health. If one is out of balance then as a whole the person is unhealthy. I believe we should strive to find balance in all aspects of our lives to truly be happy and healthy!
- Love… Ahhhh what can I say about love? It is so beautiful. Love is our energy source. Our soul food. Our essence. It’s an action, an emotion, a state of being, a cure, a song, a dance, a drug, a gift! I love reading Osho’s words on love 🙂 Love is everything we need. If everyone were spiritually awake, living from their hearts, this world would be a completely different planet! We’re getting there though!
- What is your biggest/greatest accomplishment till date and why? I guess as of right now that would be the trip I took to Italy to work on my Sole Stories project! That is the beginning to a lifelong dream – travel & writing! Also while in Italy I found a “teacher” and a group of women I resonated with, and this experience helped me tremendously on my spiritual & healing journey! I am so grateful!
- What are your top 5 favorite books and why you recommend reading them? Honestly I’m going to mostly recommend books I fell in love with as a kid because they are revolutionary & classic!
You can click on each title and scroll down to see the review on each book. The first three I listed I read when I was a child, and they changed my life. The last two I read in my early 20s. True Love opened my eyes and heart to further understand love and how to be loving to myself and to others. It showed me how to BE love, which honestly reaffirmed my beliefs on the teachings of Christ. Eat Pray Love changed my life. I read this book right after ending my first serious relationship, and I felt as if Elizabeth was somehow living my parallel life. I feel like she is my twin. Her book helped me heal and find myself in so many ways, all while I was studying and working in Cuernavaca, Mexico for a month.
- How or what would you suggest to help enhance/improve education in your country and why? Oh wow, after working in a US public school I could talk for a long while with you about this topic. To keep it short I will say that standardized tests need to be abolished, never to return. Education should be FREE to all and supported by the government. Teachers who are truly passionate and patient should be employed (pay should not be a factor although I believe teachers deserve much higher compensation). Education should be more free form and custom to each individual – I really dig magnet schools and alternative education schools. I think more parents should home school, or maybe communities should think about starting grassroots schools which would be like homeschooling but on a larger scale. [Maybe communities already do this?]
- Do you think Yoga and meditation is something that should be taught more widespread? Hell yes!!!!!!!
- What advice would you give me – writer to writer regarding this blog, or fiction writing? Honestly? Just be who you are, and continue to express freely. I believe that natural writers have the gift to communicate with words, in such a way that others can completely understand and RELATE. And these people that relate do not know how to express their feelings the way we can. We are their VOICE. 🙂 Shine on sister.
- If you could change one thing about yourself whether it is physical, personality, mental, what would it be and why? Sometimes I wish I wasn’t a hopeless romantic. I fall in love easily and very hard! Lol..I’m such a Pisces.
- If you could change one thing about the world what would it be, and why? I wish everyone lived from their hearts. Like I mentioned earlier, if everyone did our Earth would be a beautiful, utopian planet. True heaven. 🙂
11 Random Facts About Me:
- I’m really short – 5’2″ !
- I can pick up everything with my feet – I am awesome like that. Lol
- I received my certificate as a “Master Angel Practitioner” through Charles Virtue while in Italy. This was through a 12-day retreat where Charles covered all his class subjects with us – ACP [Angel Certification Program], Advanced ACP, and Angelic Mediumship. These courses did not really teach me anything new but instead confirmed what I had been experiencing and believing my whole life! And it helped me find my confidence in my intuitive gifts to where I am ready to use the gifts to help others. Without shame 🙂
- I like to bust out in opera sometimes — as in, if you asked me, “Hey Trina, how are you?” I’d reply singing in opera, “I am faaaaaabuulouuuuussssss!” Lol
- I was not fond of kids in my teen and young adult years [I talk like I’m ancient], but I love them now and love teaching children. 🙂
- I have been writing poetry, short stories, and other stuff since I was about 7-8 years old.
- I did not like that I was taught in [Christian] church to pray to Jesus. Never made sense to me…I always wanted and felt in my heart that I should be talking to God.
- I never brush my hair. Lol I usually brush it right before I get into the shower to wash it, that way I don’t clog the drain. But brushing it everyday is useless to me.
- I had to study and teach myself my native language [Spanish].
- I have a Journalism degree but have no interest in working in the field, at least not the mainstream field. It’s quite depressing and disappointing. If anything, I’d work, or freelance, for alternative news sources that are true gatekeepers of information for the people.
- I hate shorts — I have a weird dislike for them because when I was younger I had to take steroids for my severe, chronic asthma, which made me gain weight and develop fast. I still have the image of myself at Disney World, super chunky with shorts riding up my inner thighs. Ew. My hips are just too big for shorts. I love dresses!
My 11 Nominees:
- The Five Minute Meditation Project, which is run by my soul sis Pree, and two other writers! I think it is great that they are writing about meditation — I truly believe meditation is vital for a healthy mind, body, and spirit! 🙂
- 734 E Street by Egypt — Egypt is my country gal soul sis and a fantastic writer! Visit her blog to see just how cool she is. She is too cool for school, I promise you! The focus for her blog is to empower people through the arts, such as: poetry, essays, music, photography, web series, etc. She is passionate about life, spirituality, poetry, education, and so much more! 🙂
- The World Compared to Simon Tocclo — What can I say about Simon? He is just an hombre extraordinaire! He is such a good friend, and an ambitious busy man. He is the CEO, producer, and a songwriter for his music label Sipero Music Ltd., but he is a jack of all trades. I call him my Twinkie, because he juggles so many projects like I do. In his blog he captures quotes, inspirational Instagram posts, music from his label, photography, and other professionals he networks with. 🙂
- Marginal Boundaries by T.W. Anderson — He has an impressive amount of readers but his site is way too awesome to not talk about it! He is a living inspiration! He is doing what I hope to be doing very soon — traveling, living, and writing freely full-time. I think that is the only way to live [for myself]. 🙂
- Faith Love Hope Mariposa by Jennifer Perry — This is the Instagram account of my friend Jennifer, where she journals her life like timestamps, about life, intuition, inspiration, eating wholesome vegetarian food, thoughts, spirituality, and more! She will have a blog up very soon, but I would love for people to check her out now on her journey. 🙂
- Striated Jungle by Shawn Blackwell — If you love poetry, then Oh My God! You will love his work! He is witty. He is romantic. He is very unique. 🙂
- In My Metaphorical Room by ArVhee — She is so adorable and I love her short, sweet poetry posts. She posts other things too, but I mostly see her poetry, and I love it. It’s genuine, it’s simple, and it has a romantic mysticism about it. 🙂
- Looking for Reasoning to a Complicated World by my blogger friend Shaun. He is a very genuine, strong guy who blogs about news [what you DON’T hear about in mainstream media], social/political issues, life, funny moments, and more! I remember falling in love with his blog after he wrote a piece about his wife catching him watching porn, haha, it was hilarious. He gave such a good description of his horror and his wife’s amusement. Lol… 🙂
- Jump for Joy by Eyoälha. Although I do not personally know her, I look forward to and enjoy her posts when I scroll through my WordPress reader feed. Her idea is genius, a breath of fresh air, creative, and inspirational. I absolutely love it! She travels around and captures fotos of people jumping in the air — hence the blog name! 🙂
- Follow Me To by Murad Osmann — This man has recently started a series on his Instagram that would blow anyone away. When I read an article about him in my Facebook feed I was in awe, captivated by the bursts of color, romantic body language, and intriguing worldly spots all captured in a snapshot. In every foto you can see his girlfriend’s back with her arm extended behind her holding his hand, as if she is pulling him along as they walk through cool places around the globe. 🙂
- Mind Over Munch by Alyssia Sheikh — I fell in love with her Instagram and I am so happy that she has a blog as well! I am such a foodie, and as a vegetarian I think it is so important to find fun, creative, and [especially] tasty ways to eat food! She is so creative, and very health conscious, so I absolutely LOVE her recipes! 🙂
11 Questions for My Nominees:
First of all, congratulations! 🙂 I find every single one of you inspirational so I wanted to share your works with my readers and the rest of the world. I found this award to be much like a “pay it forward” ordeal, but it also gave me some time to self reflect. Hopefully you will see it in a similar fashion. 🙂
- Name a book that you felt changed your life or somehow influenced you.
- Name one place in the world that is absolutely magical to you, and explain why. 🙂
- If you write poetry do you have any suggestions for me — I have been writing poetry since I was young but have never published. Where/what are some good places to look into for publishing poetry? And thank you in advance. 🙂
- If possible, could you share your favorite vegetarian recipe with me? If you are not vegetarian, do you have a favorite cocktail recipe? 🙂 ::cheers::
- What do you consider the first few steps to establishing a career as an entrepreneur? If you are not sure or have never tried, have you ever thought about being an entrepreneur?
- If you are a blogger who is making money from your blog somehow, can you share how you accomplished this? [who wouldn’t want to know these juicy tips?]
- Name one of your favorite songs, and if you want you can include the YouTube link! I love music!
- Imagine waking up and realizing you have the day off — what would be the first thing you would want to do with your free time?
- If you are aware of genetically-modified organisms [GMOs] do you have any ideas you wish you could implement: A) in order to inform the unaware citizens, and B) to help get laws passed to ban this horrible crap?
- Remember a day when you laughed so hard that you cried…tell me what happened to make you laugh so hard. 😀
- This last one is not a question, it’s a humble request. 🙂 I humbly ask that you do one small act of kindess from your heart, with the intention in your mind and heart that you hope the person you help will also pay it forward. ❤
Thank you so much Preester for the nomination! This is my first blog award so I am very stoked about it, and very honored! Thanks to everyone who read this post, and thank you to all my nominees for sharing your craft with the world. It sure as hell inspires me.