By Trina Otero
So mi gente, I’m off to Italy in June [inshallah]! I am in the middle of planning a project that will incorporate this blog [can’t give away the surprise just yet], and I have a friend already in Italy scoping out areas for us.
But I am still hoping to hear suggestions from fellow travelers and Italy natives. I always have questions, so here are some:
- Will my passport suffice if I want to travel to neighboring countries? I will be abroad from June til the end of July.
- Which neighboring countries do you suggest I visit?
- Where are some awesome, beautiful, hidden spots?
- Tell me about the foodporn there — give me the names of some of the most amazing dishes! Please.. 🙂
- How painful/boring is the plane ride from the US to Italy?
- Do you prefer certain airlines? If so, which are they?
- Are there any sources or books I should check out before leaving?
- I can understand a decent amount of Italian because it is so similar to Spanish, but will Italians understand me if I speak to them in Spanish? Hey..it’s worth a try! 🙂
- Any safety tips?
- What are some awesome Italian words or phrases I should know?
- What are some Italian words I should steer clear from? [Words that are offensive.]
- Are there any hand gestures or body language that I should be aware of, so as not to offend anyone?
- Know of any safe, decent hostels two young women can stay at while trekking around Italy?
- Have any transportation tips or suggestions?
I appreciate any and all travel tips! In return, I will share my adventures with you. Which you will LOVE, I hope :). ~Namaste~